Saturday, April 28, 2012

Empathy

My sweet baby. 


He's the happiest little fella when things are going well for him - when he has a full belly, a clean diaper, and something to chew on. :)


But when something goes wrong, he thinks it's the end of the world. 

If we happen to be driving in the car when he gets hungry, he just can't imagine why we won't get him out and feed him RIGHT. THIS. INSTANT. He will scream as if he hasn't been fed for days, when really this is his first inkling of hunger. I feel so bad for him in those moments, but it also gets frustrating. 

Can't you have a little patience, buddy?

Don't you know that Mommy loves you, won't let you starve? 

Do you realize that Mom and Dad have your best interests in mind? We want what's best for you, Asher. That means that we aren't going to get you out of the car while we're driving to feed you: that's dangerous. It'll only be a little longer. Just trust us. 

And then I realize that this must be how God feels sometimes. I don't get what I want, what I feel like I need, RIGHT. THIS. INSTANT. And I think He's forgotten about me, abandoned me. But I should know better. I do know better. 
"Be strong and courageous. 
Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, 
for the Lord your God goes with you; 
He will never leave you nor forsake you."
-Deuteronomy 31:6

Even in painful situations, even when I'm being disciplined, I know that God's got the end result in mind. He's working for His glory and my good. He's the only one who knows best, and thank the Lord it's in His hands, not mine. 

And thank the Lord that He gives us wisdom when we need it (James 1:5) because I don't always know what to do in every situation, either. I'm new at this parenting stuff, but Father has been in the business of sustaining the world ever since the Beginning. 


Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment