Friday, March 30, 2012

"The Hunger Games" Review

I heard about "The Hunger Games" series last summer, from Hannah and Rachel, who shared my love of all things Harry Potter. I should have listened to them and read the books then, so that it wouldn't have been as "trendy". I hate when I do "trendy" things.

Yet I waited. I jumped on that bandwagon right when the hype was high. I think my reasoning was, "If this many people like it, who don't even like to read much, it must be good." And good it was!

I devoured the books. Even though Brandon started reading them first, I am a more passionate reader, and can get lost in a book much more readily than he. I read them every free moment.

I can't criticize the books in any negative way: that might be a weakness, but I wasn't looking to criticize them; I was looking for a good story, and that's what the books had. The characters were so well developed, the plot was captivating and resonant, with just the right amount of foreshadowing. I think that might be one tiny criticism: there was a tiny bit too much foreshadowing. Oh and another criticism: it ended. I didn't want it to end. (I have another criticism about the end of the last book, but I won't go there now.)
Since I was such a diehard fan of the books, I had high expectations for the movie. Plus, with all the hype about the movie, it would have been a hard hype to live up to.


Okay anyways, here's my review of the movie.
  • Casting was good. A lot of people criticized the fact that there were 3 black actors, but I reread one part where it described Rue, and the book did indeed specify that she had dark brown skin and eyes. The characters weren't all as I had imagined them, of course, and Brandon criticized Haymitch's long, goofy hair, but I didn't mind much. Overall, the characters fit the parts.
  • Okay, all the rest of my review is negative, but I expected too much of the movie, it's not it's fault.
  • Acting, I thought, was sub-par. Especially Effie. Oh, and I hated that it never even mentioned her name. I imagine if you hadn't read the books, you'd be thinking: "Who is that lady and why is she there?"
  • The romance wasn't convincing. No, it wasn't a genuine romance, I know, but it was supposed to be convincing enough to persuade the viewers.
  • Shaky Camera: That was annoying. The whole Reaping scene made me just want to leave. I understand the shakiness of the violent parts (couldn't make it rated R), but the Reaping didn't have to be so shaky.
I liked the movie, but I should have known better than to expect too much. I think I will enjoy the next one more, being further removed from reading the books, and knowing to expect less.

Did you read the books? Watch the movie? Let me know what you thought in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment