Monday, May 21, 2012

A Calm Week at Home


Last week was crazy. It was jam-packed with activity. All of it was lovely, but I am very ready for a small break. This week, while Brandon works overtime managing the feed store for his dad while he's on vacation, Asher and I will be taking it easy at home. We have a few small outings planned, but for the most part we will be at our favorite place in the world - home!


Since we'll be home more, we can also take advantage of the cloth diapers we've been wanting to use. I was so excited about cloth diapering when I was pregnant, but once Asher arrived, disposables seemed so much easier. I tried cloth on him when he was about 3 weeks old, and he was too small for them - they didn't fit right.

Then, I guess I waited too long to try them again, and by 3 months old, he was too big for them! There are some he can wear that are one-size-fits-all (up to 35 lbs), but they seemed too intimidating for me. However, I began using them two days ago, and they're not that bad at all! I still use disposables on him at night and when I know we'll have to change him while we're out, but this week I am setting a goal to use at least 3 cloth diapers per day.

Speaking of goals, I did so well last week (by God's grace)!

  Keep Asher well-fed, clean, and happy.
  Keep up with dog-feeding and playing. Buy a new collar since he chewed through his. Sigh...
  Make a meal plan and have dinner at home most nights
  • Monday - chicken and rice casserole;
  • Tuesday - Sloppy Joes
  • Wednesday - Crock Pot chicken and dumplings
  • Thursday - Taco chicken
  • Friday - Pizza
  Daily, interruption-free quiet time
  An hour and a half of computer per day
  Read 5 more chapters in  Shepherding a Child's Heart
  Grocery shop - remember tortillas and ranch dressing
  Clean up house, get some deep cleaning done!
  Send out 1 youth's camp forms. 

I didn't follow the meal plan exactly, but we still had dinner at home every night. Like I have said before, "interruption-free" is quite a high ambition for my quiet times - and I'm my own worst interruptor. And some days I spent more time on the computer. I need to work on reducing that time.

This week, I'm making a simple list:

  • Keep Asher well-fed, clean, and happy.
  • Feed Woody and play with him each evening or morning.
  • Continue to help Asher develop independent sitting and -maybe soon!- crawling
  • Make a menu plan and have dinner at home most nights (without grocery shopping - use up what we have instead)
    • Monday - Taco Chicken
    • Tuesday - Leftover Pizza or White Chicken Enchiladas
    • Wednesday - Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings
    • Thursday - Dinner at a friend's
    • Friday - Leftovers
  • Make a date to spend time catching up with some friends this week or next.
  • Go to Thursday evening Bible study - decide on and bring a dish.
  • Finish reading Shepherding a Child's Heart , and begin a new book.
  • Fold and put away clean laundry, maintain clothes and diaper laundry
  • 3 cloth diapers a day.
  • Maintain the house.
Asher is getting so good at sitting! He even pulls himself up in the tub - which 
makes it a little hard to bathe him, but I'm so proud!

Check back later to see how I did, and let me know what your goals are for this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment